- Make a sponge by mixing the tablespoon of sugar and yeast in the half-cup of warm water.
- Let stand in a warm place for about ten minutes, or until foamy.
- Sift the dry ingredients together - the remaining flour, sugar, and salt.
- Mix the four tablespoons of oil, the remaining water, and the two eggs in a small bowl and add them to the flour mixture.
- Mix well.
- Then add the yeast sponge and mix well.
- Knead until satiny smooth.
- Use the remaining oil to rub the bowl and put the dough in it.
- Turn it over to oil the top and cover it with a damp cloth.
- Put the bowl in a warm place for one hour, or until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Punch down the dough and re-form into a ball.
- Divide it into two equal pieces and knead each lightly.
- Divide each half into three pieces and form each into a rope about three-fourths of an inch in diameter.
- Pinch one end of three ropes, braid, then pinch the other end.
- Tuck both ends under the loaf.
- Repeat with the other three ropes.
- Put the braided loaves on a greased cookie sheet and let them rise ten minutes.
- Paint each loaf with beaten egg and sprinkle with seeds.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, or until golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom with a spoon.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.