Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 pinch dried Mexican leaf oregano
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans, preferably dried
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 chipotle chile, packed in adobo, minced
- 1 (4 – 6oz) havarti cheese, cubed
- 4 sprigs cilantro, optional
- Place the chicken breasts in a pot with the broth.
- Bring to a boil, then turn off the heat, cover, and poach for 12 minutes gently.
- Remove from the pot and cut into strips 1½ inches long.
- Return the chicken strips to the broth and add the oregano, rice, garbanzo beans, avocado, and chipotle.
- Divide the cheese among 4 deep soup bowls.
- Quickly heat the soup again to a quick boil, and then ladle it into the bowls.
- Garnish with a cilantro sprig.
This dish may be made a day ahead, but don't add the avocado until reheating the soup for serving. The chipotle flavor will intensify overnight and the dish may seem hotter. For more intense flavor, add some of the adobo from the peppers.