Bouza bi Haleeb (milk ice cream)
- 1 qt. milk
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ tsp sahlab (cornflower)
- ¼ tsp mustikah (gum arabic)
- 1 tsp ma'ez zahr (orange blossom essence)
- Dissolve sahlab in one cup of milk.
- Bring the rest of the milk to a boil with the sugar.
- Add the cold milk and starch mixture slowly to the hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Pulverize the mustikah and mix with several teaspoons of sugar.
- Add to the cooking milk mixture.
- Boil gently over low fire for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from fire.
- Stir occasionally while cooking.
- Flavor with ma'ez zahr.
- Freeze either in crank type freezer or in refrigerator trays.
- When mixture is frozen in refrigerator trays it should be removed and beaten three times during freezing to break up ice crystals.
- Just before serving, take the trays of ice cream from the freezer unit and allow to rest several minutes in the chilling part of the refrigerator.