Eggplant with yoghurt sauce
- 4 medium eggplants
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 1 green pepper seeded and sliced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes peeled
- ¼ teaspoon hot chile peppers
- ¼ cup water
- Cut the stems from the eggplants and leave peel.
- Slice into 1 cm pieces.
- Spread on a tray and sprinkle slices liberally with salt.
- Leave for 30 minutes, then dry well with paper towels.
- Pour enough oil into skillet with a lid, to cover base well.
- Fry eggplant until lightly browned on each side.
- Do not cook completely.
- Lift onto a plate.
- Add more oil as required for remaining slices.
- As oil drains out of eggplant, return this to the pan and add onions.
- Fry gently till translucent.
- Remove to another plate.
- Place a layer of eggplant back into the pan.
- Top with some sliced onion, green pepper rings and tomato slices.
- Repeat using remaining ingredients and adding a little salt and the chile between layers.
- Pour in any remaining oil from the eggplant.
- Add onion and water, cover and simmer gently for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Combine chakah ingredients and spread half the sauce into base of serving dish.
- Top with vegetables, lifting eggplant gently to keep slices intact.
- Leave some of the juices in the pan.
- Top vegetables with the rest of the chakah and drizzle the remaining juices over it.
- Serve with flat bread.