- Can be prepared in 40 minutes
- serves 4
- 6 medium sized beets
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup stewed tomatoes
- 2 small onions
- ½ lb beef stew meat
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- Peel beets and cut into slivers with sharp knife or vegetable grater.
- Strain tomatoes, forcing pulp but not seeds through the strainer.
- Add water, chopped onion and cubed meat.
- Cook gently half an hour.
- Add lemon juice and salt.
- Taste for seasoning and simmer another 30 minutes.
- Pour hot borsch slowly over well beaten eggs and serve at once.