Yield: 8 servings
- 3 medium eggplants
- 2½ teaspoons coarse salt; (kosher salt)
- ¼ cup corn oil
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot red chili flakes or 1 teaspoon minced fresh chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dried mint; crushed
- Slice the eggplants crosswise into 1½ inch thick pieces.
- Sprinkle them with 2 tsp coarse salt and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Rinse eggplants under cold water, which removes the bitter taste, rinse, and dry well on a towel.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and lightly brown eggplant slices over moderate heat for 3 minutes.
- Remove and put into a serving bowl.
- Put the tomato sauce, pepper, chile, cinnamon, mint and ½ tsp salt, if wanted, in a pan.
- Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes, which is long enough to integrate the flavors.
- Pour this over the eggplant; refrigerate until ready to use.
- The salad can remain in the refrigerator for several days.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.