Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Sweet potato paste. Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1½ lb Cuban white sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into lg Chunks
- 2 cup water
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- peel of 1 lime, white pith removed
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- ground cinnamon for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, boil the potatoes in lightly salted water to cover until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and puree them in a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the water, sugar, cinnamon, and lime peel, stirring constantly, until the syrup reaches the soft-ball stage (250 °F degrees), on a candy thermometer, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, carefully remove the cinnamon and lime peel, add the pureed potatoes, and cook 6 to 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until the paste is thoroughly blended.
- Remove from the heat, add the egg yolks, and mix well. Return to low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat, mix in the sherry, and allow the paste to cool at room temperature 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving bowl or individual dessert dishes, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and serve cold.