- hoagie rolls or any suitable bread, sliced 1 1/2 inches thick
- 4 slices Bacon, fried crisp and reserved
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4-5 vidalia onions or sweet onions, peeled,thinly sliced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed,peeled,finely minced
- 5 cans campbell beef broth (Or 4 Knorr Beef Bouillon Cubes dissolved in 7 cups Hot water)
- 1 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet browning sauce
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1-1 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2-3 green onions or shallots, peeled,sliced thin
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Swiss Gruyere or Cheese slices
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, fry 4 strips of Bacon until crisp.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Reserve bacon fat for another use.
- In same pan, over low heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and saute them over medium-low heat until Onion is somewhat translucent and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir frequently until onions caramelize and are golden brown.
- Stir in garlic.
- Remove from heat.
- Do NOT burn.
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven, combine onions, beef broth, Kitchen Bouquet and dark brown sugar.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour, stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, spray or spread bread of choice with a thin coating of butter.
- Toast lightly and place it in a 225 Degrees F.
- warm oven and allow it to dry out.
- Add wine and oregano to soup.
- Cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add shallots and cook another 5 minutes.
- Season with black pepper.
- Remove bread from oven.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 Degrees F.
- Place oven dried bread (or use Croutons) in 4 ovenproof soup bowls.
- Ladle soup on top and sprinkle with crumbled crisp Bacon.
- Cover top of bowls with Cheese slices.
- Place in preheated oven and bake about 20 minutes or until Cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.