Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Codfish and potato puffs
- Makes 25 to 50 puffs.
- 1 lb dried salt cod
- 4 medium all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp salted butter, softened
- salt to taste
- generous grindings of black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup cracker meal or very fine bread crumbs
- peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- fresh lime juice to taste
- 1 drain the fish, place it in a small saucepan, cover with fresh water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Drain and cool the fish, remove any skin and bones, and flake.
- In a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat, cover the potatoes and garlic with salted water, bring to a boil, and cook until tender, 20 to 25 minutes, then drain.
- Mash the potatoes, using a potato masher or fork, add the flaked fish, butter, salt, pepper, eggs, and parsley, and mix well.
- Refrigerate the mixture at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle a light layer of cracker meal on a work surface.
- Taking a generous tablespoonful of the codfish mixture in the palm of your hand, form it into a ball about 1½ inches in diameter, and roll it in the crumbs; repeat with all the codfish mixture, renewing the crumbs when necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed skillet or deep fryer over medium-high heat, heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees, or until a drop of batter sizzles when it touches the oil, and fry the puffs until golden brown on all sides, turning with a slotted spoon.
- Do not fry too many at once or the oil temperature will fall and they will be soggy rather than crisp.
- Place the puffs on a paper- towel-lined platter in the oven until all have been cooked, and serve hot, sprinkled with lime juice.