Wheat paste food
- 3 teacups of whole or half ground wheat
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 pairs of chicken gizzards
- 2 onions 1 big (grated/cut into tiny pieces) and one small (sliced and shredded)
- 3 tablespoons turmeric paste/puree
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 5 cups water
- 6 heaped teaspoons of ghee
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Soak wheat and leave wheat in water for 3 hours.
- Boil wheat, chicken breast and big (grated) onion in 3 cups of water.
- Add 1 tea spoon of salt and keep cooking on low fire.
- On another side of the cooker make sweet turmeric sauce.
- Cut chicken gizzards into small pieces and boil with 3 spoons of turmeric paste/puree in ½ cup of water, add a pinch of salt and 3 table spoons of sugar.
- Leave the sauce to cool.
- Once wheat is thoroughly cooked, take out the chicken breast, they should also be well cooked by now to the point that they almost start to shred when you just touch them.
- Cut chicken breast into small pieces and shred well.
- Put the chicken back into the bowl of wheat and start to stir.
- By now the wheat you are cooking should have started turning into a thick paste.
- Add 2 to 3 spoons of ghee and keep stirring until the shredded chicken is evenly distributed.
- The heaviness or thickness of wheat paste should almost feel like dough when kneaded and ready for baking.
- If the paste is too hard add a little water.
- Once ready, take off from fire and cover the wheat paste.
- On one side of cooker, take a small frying pen and fry the small (shredded) onion in 3 to 4 spoons of ghee.
- Keep stirring until onions turn red and crispy.
- Serving: the turmeric sauce with pieces of chicken gizzards is served in one small bowl.
- Deep fried onions with all the ghee are also poured into another bowl and put on the table (allow a few minutes to cool but not solidify) boko boko is served while still warm (not hot, you could end up badly burnt).
- One may choose to either eat it with the fried onions (where by one also adds the ghee that is with the onions) or one may choose to eat boko boko with the turmeric sauce.