Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Spawn (fish roe) soup for Lent
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 2 medium onions
- 1 small celery knob
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch paprika
- ½ lb fish fillet; small pieces
- 1 fish head
- 1 lb spawn (fish roe)
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Peel vegetables and cut into small pieces and together with salt, bay leaves and peppercorns cook them in 2 qts water till they are almost soft.
- Make a roux with butter and flour cook for only a few minutes leaving it very light.
- Add paprika and whip ½ cup cold water into the roux.
- Pour roux into the vegetable mixture and bring again to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add fish pieces and fish head and simmer soup for 10 minutes.
- Add spawn and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the vinegar; just before serving stir in the sour cream.
- Adjust salt and vinegar to your taste.