In Romanian: Gaina rasol
- 1 medium hen
- 2 carrots
- 1 parsley root
- 1 celery root
- 1 parsnip
- 1 onion
- 2 juniper berries (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 3 – 4 potatoes
- 3 quarts / 3 l water
- Clean and wash the hen and set it to boil at low heat with 3 qts/3 l water.
- Remove foam, then add the vegetables, onion, juniper berries, bay leaf and salt.
- Cover and simmer until the hen is almost done.
- Add the halved (lengthwise) potatoes and let simmer until done.
- Remove the hen, cut in pieces, arrange on a platter and garnish with boiled potatoes and sliced carrot and celery.
- Spray with a few tablespoons of the boiling liquid.
- Serve to taste with oil and lemon juice or vinegar, horseradish sauce or garlic juice.