Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Diabetic recipe from ADA
- 6 servings/Serving size: 1 cup
- 1 x 16-oz pkg dry black-eyed peas
- 8 cups cold water
- 6 cups warm water
- 2 cubes reduced-sodium beef bouillon
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- ¼ tsp salt
- Rinse and sort peas. In a large pot, bring cold water and peas to a boil over high heat; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and allow to soak for 1 hour. Drain off water and rinse peas.
- Place soaked peas, warm water, bouillon cubes, and onion in a large pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low.
- Cook 45 minutes to 1 hour or until peas are tender, adding more warm water if necessary; stir periodically. Peas should be covered with a thick sauce.
- Add salt, stir gently, and serve.
Nutritional information Edit
- Calories 221 (Calories from Fat 9) | Total Fat 1g (Saturated Fat 1g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 109mg | Carbohydrate 39g (Dietary Fiber 12g, Sugars 6g) | Protein -- 14g
- Exchanges: Starch 2½ | Very Lean Meat 1