- 3 lbs rump roast or round roast or beef brisket
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 onion
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 medium carrots, quartered
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium turnip, quartered
- 1 leek, washed and quartered
- bouquet garni
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated horseradish
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup of the beef stock
- ½ lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- In a large pot, place roast with the salt and water.
- Let stand for 20 minutes.
- Then bring slowly to a boil, skimming frequently.
- Add onion, carrot, turnip, celery, leek, and spices-- cover lower heat and simmer 2½ hours or until meat is very tender, when pierced with a fork.
- Drain the beef, and place on a serving platter, covering to keep warm.
- Strain the stock pressing all the vegetables to extract all the juices.
- Taste stock for seasoning, and remove one cup of stock to make the sauce.
- Serve the rest of the stock as a soup, before eating the beef.
- For the sauce-- melt the butter, saute the onion over med.
- Heat until soft.
- Stir in the flour, and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the one cup of stock, horseradish and lemon juice along with salt, pepper, and sugar, to taste.
- Bring sauce to a boil, stirring, simmer 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the cream.
- Serve the beef with boiled potatoes, and the sauce separately.