- 1.6 kg (3* lb) lean salted silverside or brisket of beef
- 1 bouquet garni
- 6 lightly crushed black peppercorns
- 2 small, quartered onions
- 8 cloves
- 2 small, quartered turnips
- 2 sticks, chopped celery
- 1 chopped leek
- 18 small carrots
- If necessary, soak the meat in cold water for several hours or overnight, then rinse.
- Tie up the meat to form a neat joint and put in a large saucepan or flame-proof casserole dish.
- Cover with just enough water and bring slowly to the boil.
- Add the bouquet garni, peppercorns, onions each quarter stuck with a clove, turnip, celery and leek.
- Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Add the small carrots and simmer for a further 30-40 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Carefully transfer the beef and carrots to a serving plate and keep hot.
- Skim the fat from the surface of the cooking liquor, then strain.
- Boil the liquid to reduce slightly, then pour into a sauceboat or jug.
- Serve the beef surrounded by the carrots, with the sauce handed separately.
- Accompany with peas and mashed potatoes or dumplings.