- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30–40 minutes
- 3 – 4 pounds beef stewing meat
- 6 slices bacon (chopped or pork lardons)
- olive oil
- 1 carrot sliced
- 2 cups onions sliced
- 3 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 large tomato (peeled)
- 8 oz mushrooms quartered
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic
- Brown beef in pork fat or bacon drippings.
- Drain fat but save the browned bacon or lardons.
- Add enough olive oil to sauté carrot, onions, mushrooms and garlic for 4 minutes and add tomato (chopped) and paste.
- Cook for two minutes and add liquids, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil and add crisp bacon.
- Cover and simmer on top of stove or in 325°F oven for 30 – 40 minutes.
- Add beurre manié to thicken sauce (optional) and serve over noodles or steamed new potatoes.