Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
South African meatloaf
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2¼ pounds good quality lean ground beef
- 1 thickish slice of white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- 1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup seedless raisins (or dried apricots)
- 2 tablespoons peach or apricot chutney
- 2 fresh lemon leaves (use bay leaves if unavailable)
- 2 medium eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Soak bread in half the milk, squeeze out excess milk back into the remaining milk mash bread with a fork.
- Heat oil in medium sauté pan.
- Stir in onions.
- Cook over medium heat until transparent.
- Add ground beef.
- Cook until lightly browned and crumbly.
- Add mashed bread to the meat mixture.
- Add curry, sugar, salt, pepper, turmeric, vinegar, raisins, chutney to the beef mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased baking dish, and place leaves on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Beat egg with remaining milk and pour over mixture and bake for another 25 - 30 minutes.
- Serve with yellow rice (add a dash of turmeric to make yellow) and chutney.