South African meatloaf
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2¼ pounds good quality lean ground beef
- 1 thickish slice of white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- 1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup seedless raisins (or dried apricots)
- 2 tablespoons peach or apricot chutney
- 2 fresh lemon leaves (use bay leaves if unavailable)
- 2 medium eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Soak bread in half the milk, squeeze out excess milk back into the remaining milk mash bread with a fork.
- Heat oil in medium sauté pan.
- Stir in onions.
- Cook over medium heat until transparent.
- Add ground beef.
- Cook until lightly browned and crumbly.
- Add mashed bread to the meat mixture.
- Add curry, sugar, salt, pepper, turmeric, vinegar, raisins, chutney to the beef mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased baking dish, and place leaves on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Beat egg with remaining milk and pour over mixture and bake for another 25 - 30 minutes.
- Serve with yellow rice (add a dash of turmeric to make yellow) and chutney.