Makes 6 servings.
- 6 large firm ripe tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped Onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1 8-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 4-ounce can sliced Mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) diced Cheddar Cheese, divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Cut slice from top of each tomato. Remove pulp; reserve. Sprinkle tomato shells with salt and black pepper; turn upside down on paper towel to drain.
- Place tomatoes in greased large baking dish; place dish in pan filled with 1/2-inch hot water.
- Bake at 375 degrees 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cook Onion and green pepper in butter in large skillet over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in rice, corn, tomato pulp, Mushrooms, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; heat thoroughly.
- Add 1/4 cup Cheese. Spoon into tomato shells. Top with remaining 1/4 cup Cheese; sprinkle with paprika.
- Spoon any leftover mixture in baking pan and bake with tomatoes. Serve tomatoes surrounded by extra mixture.