Blue Northern Chili Hash
- 2 cups prepared medium or hot chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 or 2 t. chili powder (New Mexican, if available)
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped cooked potatoes
- 2 cups chopped cold roast beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup cream
- 4 to 8 eggs
- Bacon fat or butter
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- Combine salsa, orange juice, garlic, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder in pan; bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Set aside and keep warm.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove and crumble. Set aside.
- Add chopped onion to 1 or 2 T. bacon fat; cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- add potatoes; cook until browned. Add beef and season to taste; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp. Add more bacon fat, if needed.
- Pour cream over all and cook until cream is gone and hash has a browned crust on bottom. #Fry eggs in bacon fat or butter, allowing 1 or 2 per serving.
To serve, place cooked eggs on top of hash, sprinkle with crumbled bacon and cilantro . Spoon chili sauce over all. Makes 4 servings
Source: Fifty From the Trail:The Best Cowboy Cookbook from a Timeless Land