Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Blue Northern Chili Hash
- 2 cups prepared medium or hot chunky salsa
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 or 2 t. chili powder (New Mexican, if available)
- 6 strips bacon
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped cooked potatoes
- 2 cups chopped cold roast beef
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup cream
- 4 to 8 eggs
- Bacon fat or butter
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- Combine salsa, orange juice, garlic, sugar, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder in pan; bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes to blend flavors. Set aside and keep warm.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp; remove and crumble. Set aside.
- Add chopped onion to 1 or 2 T. bacon fat; cook until tender, stirring occasionally.
- add potatoes; cook until browned. Add beef and season to taste; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and crisp. Add more bacon fat, if needed.
- Pour cream over all and cook until cream is gone and hash has a browned crust on bottom. #Fry eggs in bacon fat or butter, allowing 1 or 2 per serving.
To serve, place cooked eggs on top of hash, sprinkle with crumbled bacon and cilantro . Spoon chili sauce over all. Makes 4 servings
Source: Fifty From the Trail:The Best Cowboy Cookbook from a Timeless Land