A River of Recipes: Native American Recipes Using Commodity Foods by the USDA Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 8
- ½ cup roasted blue (or yellow) cornmeal
- 1¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick chilled butter
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons egg mix + ¼ cup water (or 1 egg)
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons instant nonfat dry milk + ½ cup water (or ½ cup non-fat milk)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a baking sheet.
- Stir the dry ingredients in a bowl, then cut the butter into the dry mixture with a pastry blender to form a course meal.
- Beat the egg with milk, sugar, and vanilla. When smooth, stir into the other mixture until the dough holds together.
- Knead briefly on a floured surface; pat into an 8” circle; place on baking sheet.
- Using a pizza cutter or serrated knife, score circle into 8 wedges.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until nicely brown. Serve with honey, fruits, jam. Best straight from the oven, but still great the next day.