- Fry the onion in hot oil, in a large saucepan, for a few minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and tomato puree.
- While stirring, fry over a moderate heat for 5 – 6 minutes.
- Stir in ¼ cup of the coconut milk and continue to cook until the mixture is reduced and thick.
- Add the rest of the coconut milk, carrots, hot pepper, ginger, bay leaf and salt.
- Bring to the boil, and add the rice and the remaining vegetables, stirring with a fork.
- Reduce to a low heat, cover and cook until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Remove the lid, cover with foil and replace the lid until the rice is done.