Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Blooming Onion is an appetizer served at some restaurants. It consists of one large fried Vidalia onion which is cut to resemble a flower. The name of the dish comes from its menu name at the Outback Steakhouse ("Bloomin' Onion"), which claims to be the dish's inventor
- 1 giant onion, the larger, the better
- 1 – 2 eggs, depending on the size of the onion
- 1 cup flour, put some hot water into it, seasoned with pepper, paprika, oregano, thyme and cumin, chili powder, and any spices you prefer; stir everything thoroughly
- Cut off the top of the onion, remove the skin. Cut a "X" over the onion, and turn it 90°, cut another "X". Keep doing it until you cut at least 10 – 16 times. Remember to leave the bottom intact, otherwise the flower will be destroyed. After doing this, cut the core out of the center.
- Put the onion into an iced water for 2 minutes, then carefully spread the onion petals apart.