This is a recipe I obtained from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Crawford Estate in Irving, Texas in 1982.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 cup butter
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup black walnuts
- Cream shortening, butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together salt, baking powder, cocoa and flour.
- Add alternately with milk then add nuts and bake at 325°F for 1½ hours.
- Cover after 10 minutes and cool completely before serving.
- Immediately before serving drizzle glaze over top.
- For glaze combine all ingredients and whisk until smooth.