- ¼ lb cherries
- 1 lb local dried fruits (or Raisins)
- 1 cup rum
- 1½ lbs. brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ lb flour
- 12 eggs
- ¼ lb orange or lemon peel
- ½ lb butter
- Grind dried fruits and soak it in 3 cups of rum. Store in an air tight container for three weeks.
- Prepare the caramel by heating the Sugar until it turns dark brown.
- cream the butter and Sugar. Add the eggs, soaked fruits, and rum. When it is well blended, pour the caramel.
- Add the flour with the baking powder and mixed spice.
- Fold in the cherries.
- Pour mixture in a baking pan and bake in a slow oven (about 300 degrees F.) for two hours. Remove cake from pan after two days.