- 1 lb dry black-eyed peas, soaked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 3 bouillon cubes
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- ½ cup of your favorite salad dressing
- 4 cups chopped lettuce
- Soak beans. Drain and discard water from soaked beans.
- Cover with 3 quarts of water and add garlic, minced onion, and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain and discard cooking broth. Chill beans, quickly, in refrigerator, uncovered.
- Mix with remaining ingredients and chill once again, to blend flavors.
- Spoon onto chopped lettuce.