This is a recipe I obtained from an Estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Gee Estate in Quinlan, Texas in 1994.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans black-eyed peas
- 8 ounce container chive and onion flavored cream cheese softened
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 8 ounce package Hush Puppy mix with onion
- olive oil
- sour cream and Green Tomato Relish
- Sauté onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until tender.
- Process onion, 1 can of peas, cream cheese, egg, salt and hot sauce in a blender until smooth stopping to scrape down sides.
- Stir in hush puppy mix and gently fold in remaining can of peas.
- Shape into patties and place on a wax paper lined baking sheet.
- Cover and chill 1 hour.
- Cook patties in batches in hot oil in a skillet adding oil as needed for about 2 minutes per side.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Keep warm and serve with sour cream and green tomato relish.