I first made this mousse when I was in college and needed to make something quick for a potluck at a friends house. I adapted it from Mollie Katzen's 1998 cookbook "Vegetable Heaven". When I was buying the ingredients someone asked what I was making and assumed I was vegan. But you don't need to be a vegan or a tofu fanatic to enjoy this dessert. In fact, I think this dessert should really be called "I Can't Believe It's Not Dairy!".
- Cook Time: 10 minutes + 2 hours to chill
- Serves: 4-6
- ¾ to 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 x 10-ounce box soft, silken tofu
- 2 large ripe bananas, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar
- Melt the chocolate in a carefully observed microwave at low power.
- While the chocolate is melting, purée the tofu and a handful of banana chunks together in a blender.
- Gradually add the remaining banana, taking time to puree after each addition so the mixture comes out smoothly.
- Blend in the vanilla, sugar, salt and vinegar as you go.
- Pour the melter chocolate into the tofu-banana mixture and use a scraper to get every last bit of chocolate in.
- Puree for a final time until the mixture is incredibly smooth and consistent.
- Pour mousse into a container or individual serving bowls, covering tightly with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to serving.