- 12 skinless Chicken thighs
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 3 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 eggs
- 3/4 lb phyllo dough
butter-flavored cooking spray
- Place Chicken thighs with Onion, garlic, parsley, salt, turmeric and ginger. Toss well, rubbing Chicken with the spices. Marinate 2 hours at room temperature or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cook Chicken with the marinade, chicken broth and cinnamon sticks. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and gently simmer for 1 hour. Remove Chicken from broth and set aside.
- Strain broth, and boil it on high heat about 10 minutes, until reduced to 1 3/4 to 2 cups.
- Toast almonds in the microwave for 3 minutes on high. Add powdered sugar and ground cinnamon. Set aside.
- After broth is reduced, add lemon juice and gently simmer another 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium and, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, slowly stir in beaten eggs. Cook, stirring, until eggs are set but not dry. Most of the liquid should evaporate. About 8–10 minutes. Add salt if necessary, cool to room temperature.
- When Chicken is cool, shred the meat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Unroll phyllo. Spray bottom and sides of a 14 inch deep dish pan with butter flavored spray. Arrange 6 sheets phyllo so that half the sheet covers the bottom of the pan and half extends over sides. Spray with butter flavored spray. Fold 4 sheets in half and let them air dry.
- Place shredded Chicken on bottom of phyllo in pan. Cover with egg mixture then the 4 dry phyllo sheets. Sprinkle almond/Sugar mixture over pastry. Cover with all but 2 remaining pastry leaves. Spraying each with butter flavored spray. Fold the overlapping leaves over the top and spray with butter flavored spray.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Dust top with cinnamon and powdered sugar before serving.