Cuban fried steak
- Makes 6 servings
- 6 top round steaks, 4 to 6 ounces each
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons pure Spanish olive oil or salted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped by hand
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped by hand
- Pound the steaks on both sides, using a mallet, until ¼-inch thin.
- Season with garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper, and allow to marinate at least 1 hour, refrigerated.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade and pat dry.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat until very hot, and brown each steak for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Transfer the steaks to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Add the marinade and onion to the pan and cook until the onion is slightly wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish the steaks with the onion and parsley and serve immediately.