- Ethnicity - South Indian
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 1½ cups rice
- ½ cup tur dal
- 2 small brinjals
- 1 carrot
- 2 drumsticks
- a small piece of vegetable marrow
- a handful Madras onions
- a pinch turmeric powder
- 6 red chillies
- 4 green chillies
- 2 tsp mustard
- 20 g cashew nut
- a few curry leaves
- a few coriander leaves
- tamarind size of a lime
- ghee for frying
- salt to taste
- Peel Madras onions.
- Peel and cut vegetables into 1 inch pieces.
- Wash rice and dal thoroughly. Place it in a container with 2½ cups of water, a pinch of turmeric powder and chopped vegetables.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry the ingredients for powdering until fenugreek turns golden brown in colour. Powder and keep aside.
- Heat some more oil and fry poppy seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, aniseeds. Powder and keep aside.
- Soak tamarind in a little water and extract juice.
- Heat oil, add red and green chillies, mustard and curry leaves. When mustard crackles, add to rice and mix well. Add tamarind juice, salt to taste and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a little ghee and fry cashew nuts until golden brown in colour.
- Add to rice along with powdered ingredients and masala powder. Mix well. Remove from fire.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and add some ghee just before serving.