Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 7 to 8 cups halved and thinly sliced onions (about 5 large)
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 10 to 12 oz. shredded Jarlsberg or Gruyere Cheese
1. In large, heavy pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter with oil over medium heat. Stir in onions, Sugar, and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Reduce heat, cover and cook 10 minutes. Remove lid and cook 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add remaining butter to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are caramelized and very soft, about 15 minutes.
3. Preheat broiler. Lightly toast bread slices. Ladle soup into 6 ovenproof bowls or crocks and arrange on baking sheet. Put enough bread on top of each serving—cutting and fitting if necessary—to cover soup. Sprinkle bread with shredded Cheese. Broil until Cheese is bubbly and golden. Serve hot.