- 4 quarts water
- 1½ white fish fillets
- spices: thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, ground cloves
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 8 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 can (28oz, 794g) whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (10oz, 285g) beef consommé
- 1 cup catsup
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 carrots, diced
- 1 jigger (2oz) Gosling's Black Seal rum (or a good dark rum)
- 4 tbsp Outerbridge's Original Sherry Peppers Sauce
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large pot, put water, fish fillets, salt and spices. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- In a frying pan, melt butter and oil, and briefly sauté onions, celery, garlic and green peppers. Then add tomatoes and consommé and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to the fish stock and add remaining ingredients. Simmer partially covered for 2 hours. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve soup piping hot and pass around Outerbridge's Original Sheery Peppers Sauce and Gosling's Black Seal rum (or a similar good quality dark rum) so guests can add a few dashes of each.