Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
- 6 x shallots - (about 1 oz ea) peeled
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil - (about)
- 6 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 Granny Smith or newtown pippin apples - (1 lb total) rinsed
- 1 lb white Belgian endive
- 1 lb red Belgian endive or red radicchio
- ⅔ lb stilton cheese crumbled
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- In an 8- or 9-inch-wide pan, mix shallots with about 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Bake in a 350°F oven, stirring occasionally, until shallots are slightly browned and barely tender when pierced, about 40 minutes (20 to 25 minutes in a convection oven).
- When cool enough to touch, finely chop.
- In a wide bowl, mix shallots, ½ cup olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and sugar.
- Peel apples, quarter, core, and cut lengthwise into ⅛-inch slivers.
- Add to bowl and mix with dressing.
- Cut white and red Belgian endive lengthwise into ⅛-inch-wide slices.
- Add endive and cheese to bowl.
- Mix gently, and season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
Up to 1 day ahead, roast and chop shallots (step 1); chill airtight. Trim discolored ends from Belgian endive (or radicchio); rinse leaves, drain, wrap in towels, enclose in a plastic bag, and chill at least 15 minutes or up to 1 day.