This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.
- 6 x shallots - (about 1 oz ea) peeled
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil - (about)
- 6 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 Granny Smith or newtown pippin apples - (1 lb total) rinsed
- 1 lb white Belgian endive
- 1 lb red Belgian endive or red radicchio
- ⅔ lb stilton cheese crumbled
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- In an 8- or 9-inch-wide pan, mix shallots with about 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Bake in a 350°F oven, stirring occasionally, until shallots are slightly browned and barely tender when pierced, about 40 minutes (20 to 25 minutes in a convection oven).
- When cool enough to touch, finely chop.
- In a wide bowl, mix shallots, ½ cup olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and sugar.
- Peel apples, quarter, core, and cut lengthwise into ⅛-inch slivers.
- Add to bowl and mix with dressing.
- Cut white and red Belgian endive lengthwise into ⅛-inch-wide slices.
- Add endive and cheese to bowl.
- Mix gently, and season salad to taste with salt and pepper.
Up to 1 day ahead, roast and chop shallots (step 1); chill airtight. Trim discolored ends from Belgian endive (or radicchio); rinse leaves, drain, wrap in towels, enclose in a plastic bag, and chill at least 15 minutes or up to 1 day.