Beef Stew as it was meant ! Tasy and the way it is eaten in Belgian !
- 1 pound Bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 20 small boiling onions, peeled
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds lean Beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces dark beer
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Blanch the Bacon for 1 minute in boiling water.
- Place Bacon and butter or margarine in a large covered pot or Dutch oven.
- Cook over medium heat until Bacon is browned.
- Add onions; cook until golden.
- Add garlic, and cook for 1 or 2 minutes; take care not to burn the garlic. * Remove Bacon mixture from pot, and set aside.
- Add Beef to the fat left in the pot, and brown on all sides.
- When meat is browned, return Bacon mixture to the pot.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
- Add enough beer to just barely cover the meat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cover.
- Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove pot from heat, and stir in parsley, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Serve hot.