Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Egg and lemon soup
- 7½ cups chicken stock
- salt and white pepper
- ⅓ cup rice, washed or ⅓ cup Italian pastina or ¼ cup tapioca
- 3 egg yolks or 2 whole eggs
- juice of 1 – 2 lemons
- 2 tsp finely chopped parsley or chives (optional)
- Make a rich chicken stock with leftover chicken bones or giblets.
- If it is not strong enough, add a stock cube.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice, pastina, or tapioca to the boiling stock and simmer until tender.
- Beat the egg yolks or whole eggs and add the lemon juice, beating constantly.
- Add a ladleful of the soup to the egg mixture and beat well.
- Pour this back into the pan slowly, still beating constantly.
- Keep the heat under the pan very low, and cook the soup gently, stirring all the time, until it thickens.
- On no account allow it to boil, or the eggs will curdle.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more lemon juice if necessary.
- Garnish, if you like, with chopped parsley or chives, and serve immediately.