Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 lb beets
- juice of 3 oranges
- zest of 1 orange
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ½ orange, for garnish
- 2 tbsp coarsely chopped chervil or 1 to 2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon, for garnish
- Heat the oven to 375 °F.
- Trim the leaves off the beets, leaving about an inch of stem.
- Set the beets in a roasting pan.
- Bake until the skins are crinkled and loose and a sweet beet smell permeates the kitchen.
- Medium-sized beets should take about 1½ to 2 hours, small ones about 1½ hours.
- Peel the beets and cut into ⅜-inch cubes.
- Place the orange juice, orange zest, beets and butter in a shallow saucepan or a skillet.
- Cook over low to medium heat for 15 minutes—stirring occasionally—then raise the heat to high to reduce the cooking liquid, about 2 minutes.
- The beets should be coated with an orange glaze.
- salt if necessary, and add plenty of freshly ground pepper.
- Turn into a warm serving dish and top with the almonds.
- Squeeze the orange half over the cooked beets and garnish with the chervil.
- Serve immediately.