- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the fennel and cook gently until softened.
- Add the chicken consommé and red wine.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the beetroot and cook for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Season and stir in the dill.
- If serving chilled, allow the soup to cool, then chill for several hours.
- If serving hot, reheat gently.
- Add a spoonful of sour cream to each serving and garnish with dill and beetroot.