Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This great Canadian soup is good for the winterdays, healthy and tasty ! A fine piece of Canadian life ! This glorious pink soup is delicious with traditional dill or fresh coriander.
- Makes 6 servings.
- 5 beets, (1¼ lbs)
- 3 cups buttermilk
- ¾ cup chopped green onions
- ⅔ cup light sour cream
- 2 tbl chopped fresh dill or coriander, (or 2 tsp. dried)
- 1½ tsp granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp white vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup cucumber, (diced unpeeled)
- Fresh dill or coriander sprigs
- In saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook beets until tender and skins slip off easily, about 25 minutes.
- Drain and let cool; slip off skins and cut into ¼-inch (5 mm) dice. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. (Beets can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)
- In large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, ½ cup (125 mL) of the onions, sour cream, dill, sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled or for up to 6 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Ladle buttermilk mixture into serving bowls. Swirl in beets and cucumber.
- Garnish with remaining green onions and dill or coriander sprigs.