Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Roark Estate in Grand Prairie, Texas in 1984.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 small bunches of beets with greens
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups skim milk
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- butter flavored cooking spray
- ½ cup flavored bread crumbs
- Separate greens from beets leaving about 1 inch of stems on the top of the beets then steam for 45 minutes.
- Save the cooking pot with the water.
- Cool and peel off skins.
- Meanwhile trim stalks from greens unless they are very tender.
- Stack greens and roll like a fat cigar.
- Cut crosswise into ½ inch wide ribbons.
- Wash thoroughly and drain.
- Add to the same pot that steamed the beets with more water if needed and steam over moderate heat just until wilted about 7 minutes.
- While greens steam heat butter in a medium size saucepan until it foams then add flour and stir over moderate heat until well blended.
- Add milk stirring constantly until the sauce comes to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer then add garlic, salt and pepper and stir as it thickens to the consistency of a light cream sauce.
- Turn off heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut beets into ½ inch cubes and add to saucepan with cream sauce.
- Squeeze out any moisture from beet greens and add to the cream sauce combining well.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired and pour into a 2 quart gratin dish that has been sprayed with butter flavored spray.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and bake 25 minutes.