Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Thickly slice the beets and simmer in water ~30 minutes until cooked.
- Include the stems of leftover cruciferous veggies in this simmer.
- Strain and place in a bowl with ½ c rice vinegar and water to cover.
- Let sit overnight in the refrigerator, or for as long as you can.
- Use the beet leaves for making a green veggie to eat.
- The next day, or later: strain the beets from this liquid, place in a food processor with sage leaves (stems removed).
- Process, adding a little wine or water as needed (discard the vinegar, or save it for the next batch of vinegared beets, in the fridge).
- Slice the shallots and garlic.
- Saute in a little of the canola oil, with the shallots first, then later add the garlic (in order to avoid overtoasting the garlic).
- After about 4 or 5 minutes, add the wine.
- Simmer a minute or two.
- Add this mixture to the food processor and continue processing.
- It is nicer if some graininess remains, but a fine graininess.
- Place this mixture back in a pan.
- Add about 1 or 2 cups of hot water, remaining canola oil, and salt (¼ tsp) and pepper to taste.
- Stir and simmer a few minutes, add 3 drops maple syrup.
- Pour into 2 regular or 1 large wide soup bowl, leave room on top.
- Top with 1 or 2 tbsp crème fraîche, and stir in well.
- Serve hot.