- 2 Tbl. vegetable oil
- 3 cups shredded/grated red cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, shredded/grated red beets
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large apple, grated
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbl. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
1.Mix the apple, vinegar, brown sugar, and spices in a bowl.
2.Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok. Stir fry the onion and cabbage until they just start to get soft.
3.Add the beets and the apple/vinegar mixture, cooking it until the beets and apple are just hot (about 1 minute).
4.Cool in refrigerator overnight and serve cold, or serve hot right away.
5.You may substitute green cabbage for red cabbage. You may also substitute golden beets for red beets.
- Beet Salad from the Public Health Cookbook by the Seattle and King County Department of Public Health—original source of recipe, public domain government resource