- Sauté the diced vegetables in butter.
- Mix flour and mustard into sautéed vegetables.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock to mixture and cook for five minutes.
- Break broccoli into small flowerets; cut stems into bite-sizes pieces.
- Steam until tender-crisp.
- Add beer and cheeses to the soup.
- Simmer 10 – 15 minutes.
- Check seasonings.
- To serve, place some broccoli into a soup bowl and ladle the soup over it.
- Notes: because of the cheese, this soup doesn't survive a night in the refrigerator very well.