A dry curry. A good, solid red wine or a cold beer would be good with this dish.
- Put the meat into a bowl and sprinkle it with the salt; rub it in well.
- Pour the yoghurt over the meat, cover it, and let it marinate for 24 hours, stirring it occasionally.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy pan and gently fry the onions, garlic and ginger until tender and golden.
- Add the other spices, stir, and cook gently for about 10 minutes until well mixed and cooked.
- Add the meat and yoghurt mixture, mix everything well, and cook gently for about 1½ hours, or until the meat is tender.
- If it is too moist for your liking, leave it uncovered for some of the cooking time.
- I serve this with plain, boiled rice as there are enough spices in the meat mixture to flavour the rice.
- Pickled limes, served as a sambal, add a delicious piquancy to this dish.