Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 kg fresh tripe, well cleaned and parboiled in abundant water, seasoned with salt and bay leaf, cut up in 5 cm long strips
- ½ cup of oil
- 1 large onion, sliced in very thin rounds
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dry oregano, or better a fresh sprig
- 2 rounded tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups of rice
- 3 cups boiling water or beef stock, tripe broth may also be used
- ½ cup peas, or more to taste
- white boiled potatoes, in rounds
- Parboil tripe in a lot of water,season with a little salt and a bay leaf, drain and cut in rather thin stripes, no more than 5 cm long.
- Tripe may also be cut in small squares,of about 2 cm to each side.
- Prepare a sauce with oil, onion, tomato, oregano and tomato paste, frying all ingredients for about 5minutes.
- Add then tripe stripes 1 cup broth or boiling water and cook until tender and almost done.
- Watch pot all the while so that it does not dry up.
- Finally add rice, cover with more boiling water and simmer 15 more minutes or until rice is done.
- Add peas, heat through and remove from fire.
- This stew may also be finished in the oven in a covered dish.
- Always let stand a few minutes before serving.
- Must be a little moist, never dry, with a thin and runny sauce.
- The usual accompaniment is some white boiled potatoes.