Makes 6 servings.
- 1½ pounds beef round steak, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup red wine, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 2 teaspoons tarragon leaves, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ cups beef broth
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Brown meat and garlic in butter in large skillet.
- Add ½ cup wine, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until meat is tender.
- Add tomatoes, green onions, 1 teaspoon tarragon and ½ teaspoon salt; cook 3 minutes longer.
- In small saucepan blend cornstarch, broth, pepper, remaining ½ cup wine, remaining 1 teaspoon tarragon and remaining ½ teaspoon salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook 2 minutes.
- Stir into beef.
- Serve over rice.