Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Caring & Cooking for the Hyper-Active Child by Mary Jane Finsand
- Yield: 4 qt. (4 l)
- 4 lbs chuck roast 2 kg
- 2 tbsp shortening 30 ml
- 2 onions (sliced) 2
- ½ cup celery (sliced) 125 ml
- 1 tsp thyme 5 ml
- 3 bay leaves 3
- 2 tsp salt 10 ml
- ½ tsp pepper 2 ml
- 4 qt. water 4 l
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Remove meat from bone and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Bone should be left in pot while mixture is cooking.
- Place shortening in roasting pan and melt in oven.
- Shake to coat bottom of pan.
- Add meat and roast uncovered for 20 minutes; stir frequently.
- Add onions and celery.
- Roast for 10 minutes more, stirring to keep from burning.
- Remove from oven and pour meat and vegetables into large soup pot.
- Add a little water to roasting pan and scrape up all the browned bits.
- Add to soup pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to soup; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove bone from pot.
- Strain and cool.