Makes 8 servings
- 2 pounds boneless Beef stew meat, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 5 tablespoons flour, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large Onion, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 cups sliced vegetables (onions, carrots, celery, green pepper)
- 16 pitted prunes
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- Dredge stew meat in 1/4 cup flour combined with salt and pepper. Brown meat on all sides in oil in Dutch oven or heavy pot.
- Add garlic and Onion; cook 3 minutes longer. Add beef broth, cover, and simmer for 1 hour, or until meat is tender.
- Add vegetables, prunes, apricots, marjoram and allspice. Cook 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables and fruits are tender.
- Remove meat, vegetables and fruits to serving dish; keep warm.
- Thicken liquid for gravy with 1 tablespoon flour. Spoon over stew or serve separately. Serve stew and gravy over mounds of hot rice.