Makes 6 servings.
- 6 pieces beef shank cross cuts (about 4 pounds)
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste or catsup
- 1 cup sherry
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Dredge shanks in flour.
- Brown on both sides in hot butter and oil in large heavy skillet.
- Add salt, basil leaves, pepper, onion and garlic.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir tomato paste into sherry.
- Add to skillet with water; cover, and simmer over low heat 1½ to 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Skim off excess fat.
- Add carrots, parsley and lemon peel to skillet; continue to cook 10 minutes longer or until carrots are tender.
- Serve shanks and sauce over beds of fluffy rice.