A very popular cuisine in Indonesia which is also known locally as Rendang Daging.
For the meat base Edit
- 1 kg beef, fat and sinew removed
- 1½ liters coconut milk
- 1 turmeric leaf, torn and knotted
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 stalk lemon grass, bruised (white part only)
- 1 – 2 pieces asam gelugur
- 10 red chilies, sliced finely
Spices (ground) Edit
- 3 tablespoons galangal, chopped
- ½ tablespoon turmeric, chopped
- ½ tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 200 g. red chilies
- 4 shallots
- salt to taste
For garnishing Edit
- fresh cicely
- chili powder
- Cut the beef into bite-size of 3 cm cubes.
- Remove any fats and sinew from the meat.
- Use a pot to simmer the coconut milk with turmeric leaf, lemon grass, asam gelugur, kaffir lime leaves, sliced chilies and ground spices until the milk thickens and becomes oily.
- Reduce the heat and add the beef.
- Cook until the meat is tender and the spiced becomes dry and turn brown.
- Stir occasionally. Serve hot and plain. Garnish with the cicely and sprinkle with the chili powder.
- You can also cook the beef rendang with 300 grams small potatoes.
- Wash and peel the potatoes.
- Add to the gravy together with beef.
- Rendang can also be combined with 150 grams dried red peanuts (kacang jogo) which have been soaked for half an hour.
- Add together with beef. Serve hot and plain.