- Makes 6 servings
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1½ pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 x 14½- to 16-ounce can tomatoes (2 cups), drain; reserve juice
- 1 cup beef broth, divided
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 whole cloves
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Cook bacon until transparent.
- Stir in meat and onions; cook until brown.
- Add tomato juice, ¾ cup broth, wine, paprika, salt, pepper, bay leaf and cloves.
- Cover; simmer 1 hour or until meat is almost tender.
- Stir in carrots and cook 30 minutes longer.
- Add cornstarch which has been blended with remaining ¼ cup broth.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and cloves.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Serve with fluffy rice.